Introducing the MiniMonkey TWIN carrier
The MiniMonkey is a twin carrier like no other. This carrier can support ergonomic positioning from newborn all the way up to 12kg each! This means it has longevity as it grows with your children.
You can also use the carrier with one baby at a time as well as in a tandem carry. The Minimonkey TWIN is a ‘hip-healthy product’, certified by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
MiniMonkey TWIN carrier: features and functionality
Supporting your babies: optimal positioning for development
Each carrying pocket has a fabric lip to bring your babies’ knees up above their bottoms. This diagram shows the physiological ‘M’ position. Knees raised above bottom is ideal for hip development and for ensuring natural curvature of the spine.
The accompanying pelvic tilt encourages their spines to curve towards the adult carrying. The fabric of the carrying pocket smoothly supports their backs and bring their heads to rest on your chest. The top section that supports the neck is softly padded. You can tighten this using the buckle and fabric strap to give the right amount of support to each child.
Using the MiniMonkey TWIN carrier
Getting two babies into anything can be a challenge, whether it is clean clothes, a car, or a specially designed twin sling. Here are our top tips for getting it right!
Carrying position: the waistband
Tightening the straps
Ask for help to correctly tighten the cross on your back the first times you use your MiniMonkey TWIN.
It can be tricky to tighten something behind you.
However, once you have correctly tightened the cross at the back it shouldn’t need adjustment for each use until you change how you are positioning the pockets on the waistband, or the waistband height. The cross at the back holds your babies’ weight into your body. You want it to be comfortably snug.
If there is slack, the weight of the babies pulls away from you. Your shoulders and back ache because your babies’ weight pulls away from your centre of gravity.
Tightening the back of the carrier is also the main way to size the pouch. Excess pouch fabric can be drawn around to your back.
Getting the babies in the MiniMonkey TWIN
Put baby in on your weaker side first.
If you find it trickier to put a baby in your left hand side then do that one first. This means when you are doing the trickiest bit, putting in the second twin, you're using your better side.
It is also worth putting in your most awkward, or currently crying baby first. This may help them to settle sooner, and hopefully allows you to be manoeuvring a calm baby into the second pocket.
Gather the pouch
Guide legs into place
Raise pocket carefully
Alt the excess fabric should remain bunched in the knee pits.
Repeat process on other side
Using in tandem mode
This video demonstrates using the MiniMonkey TWIN carrier for two babies:
Assess for safety and comfort
- Are the babies at a good height? Are they away from loose clothing, your breasts or anything that might cause a smothering risk?
- If the babies are too low, position the waistband higher, retighten the back cross and try again.
- Are they slumping or is their chin collapsing towards their chest?
- Slumping is a safety risk as it can compromise their airways. Use the adjustment at the back to get the carrier tighter. If it isn’t possible to tighten the MiniMonkey Twin enough to avoid slumping at present then wait until they are a little bigger before trying it again.
- Is the sling supporting their weight? Do you feel able to let go of them? If they move away from you when you let go then try to tighten the MiniMonkey Twin a little more.
- Do you feel able to stand comfortably in your natural standing position without shoulder, or back pain?
- Discomfort in the shoulders and back are often caused by the carrier not being tight enough. This bit may take a bit of trial and error and help from someone to do fine adjustments to the back cross. Once it is comfy, you shouldn’t need to loosen the back between uses.
- Do your babies seem happy and comfortable?
Our “Carrying safety” article will help you recognise the key safety considerations
You may find our article “Does my sling fit OK?” helpful for becoming confident at assessing fit and safety.
With these Tips and Tricks you have a great chance of getting you and your twins comfy in the MiniMonkey TWIN carrier, but if you are struggling, get in touch, we may be able to offer you advice by email, phone or Facebook message. Or we can book you a Zoom consultation or fit check.
How can I try the MiniMonkey TWIN carrier?
We have several of the MiniMonkey TWIN carrier available to hire from our online sling library.
We offer both ‘Try before you buy’ and payment plans on MiniMonkey TWIN carriers in our shop.